By Lauren Mason of Sterilite Corporation
Did you know that today is National Peanut Butter Lovers Day?
I love peanut butter! Whether it is on a sandwich, with an apple or by the spoonful. If you are also a peanut butter lover, celebrate today by making this simple homemade peanut butter. It is probably one of the easiest, most delicious treats you will ever make. 3 ingredients, 1 machine, 5 minutes. That is all it takes. Homemade peanut butter is so much healthier for you than store bought peanut butter. It is all natural, with no added preservatives and much less sugar and fat.
- 3 cups dry roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt to taste
- Place the peanuts in a food processor. Turn the food processor on and let it run for 3-4 minutes. During this time, you’ll see the peanuts go in stages from crumbs, to a dry ball, to a smooth and creamy peanut butter mixture.
- Stir in the honey and salt. Mix for another 30 seconds.
- For a thicker peanut butter, store mixture in the fridge. For a thinner, more liquid peanut butter, store at room temperature.
If you are feeling adventurous, try making one of these variations below:
- Crunchy Peanut Butter: If your family loves crunchy peanut butter, remove ½ cup of the chopped peanuts from step 1 and stir them back in at the end.
- Honey Roasted Peanut Butter: Follow the same steps above but use honey roasted peanuts instead.
- Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter: Add 1 ½ tsp of ground cinnamon to the mixture and fold in 1/3 cup of raisins. This goes great on a bagel in the morning!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: If you are looking for a way to satisfy your sweet tooth, try adding ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 ¼ cup of powdered sugar to the peanut butter mixture.
I like to make a double batch of this homemade peanut butter so I have enough to last me for a few weeks. Sterilite containers are the perfect solution to store your peanut butter. Our 3 Cup Round Ultra•Seal™ food storage container is just the right size to hold this tasty treat and the airtight seal will keep it fresh and flavorful.
Now that you have your homemade peanut butter, you can use it in many ways. Try out some of these recipes below:
- No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars: http://simplyshellie.com/bake-peanut-butter-granola-bars
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups: http://ifood.tv/american/460544-homemade-peanut-butter-cups
- Peanut Butter Muffins: http://www.wellplated.com/peanut-butter-muffins/
- Peanut Butter Cookies: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/peanut-butter-cookies/