By Kellie Fournier of Sterilite Corporation
Find your closet looking a little like this? Are you tired of not finding that piece of clothing you absolutely need to wear? With a little elbow grease and a well thought out plan, you can whip your closet into shape in no time. Follow these steps to help you create an organized and clutter-free space.
1. Clear out the closet – remove all clothing, shoes and accessories and place into piles. Give the space a good cleaning so it is dust and dirt free. To keep moths away, place dried citrus peels or dried lavender in a small cloth bags in your drawers. Moths do not like these smells but think how good your closet will smell!
2. Sort it out – start going through the piles you created. Sort into three categories: keep, on the fence and see ya later. If you feel like you are getting overwhelmed break this up in to sections.
3. Bring it back in – organize your closet with all the items from your keep pile. As you bring these items back in, check to make sure everything is clean and in good shape. Group like items and store in a place where you can easily find them. Get rid of those wire hangers! Use padded hangers for delicate fabrics like silk or wool and wood or plastic hangers for everything else. You want good quality hangers to help protect your clothes.
4. Reduce the clutter – start going through your on the Fence pile. Asking yourself questions about each piece to help you wean these items out. Some questions could be: Does this piece actually fit? Do you really love it? Do feel great when wearing it? If you answer no to any of these question then it is time to part ways. If you have not worn it in a year – GET RID OF IT! Chances are you won’t be wearing it again.
5. Purge – your last pile to go through, you must be feeling good! Grab two trash bags, one for garbage and one for donations. Place all the items that you are throwing away in one of the bags and throw this in your refuse container outside, this way you don’t get them mixed up. Then go through the last of your pile – if the item is in good condition you can donate to a charity or a friend/relative that would appreciate it. When donating your clothing items to Good Will – remember to record all of the item and roughly how much you paid for it. Ask for a receipt and keep for your upcoming tax returns.
Your closet must look fantastic! Remember how hard you worked to get it looking this good and try your best to keep it that way. Spending five minutes a day to keep it clutter free will keep you feeling great!
Need a storage solution for your out control closet? Our Modular Drawers could be your perfect companion. Check out our website for more configurations. www.sterilite.com