By Lauren Mason of Sterilite Corporation
Summer is in full swing- The days are longer, the temperatures are rising, and strawberries are ripe! Now that school is out, the kids will have a lot of spare time on their hands looking for fun activities to partake in. One of my personal favorite summer activities is going strawberry picking. There is something about walking up and down the rows of bushes, seeing all the ripe, red strawberries while kids run around to pick the best ones. It is a perfect way to get some fresh strawberries for yourself, and keep the kids away from the TV for an afternoon.
Sometimes, the little baskets that the farm gives out just aren’t enough to hold all the berries you want. This is where Sterilite’s 5 Quart Pail comes in handy! The sturdy wire handle enables you to carry as many strawberries as you want without any worry. The textured finish is perfect for decorating, so you can let the kids draw on the outside in preparation for the trip. And afterwards, it is very simple to clean off. Even permanent markers can be washed off of the pail with nail polish remover!
Of course, the real prize of strawberry picking isn’t in the picking itself, but in the yummy strawberry treats that are made afterwards. The only problem I ever come across is deciding how to eat them! There are so many great ways to prepare strawberries, regardless of the fact that they are delicious on their own. One of my favorite desserts has always been strawberry trifle.
1) Start by making the vanilla pudding according to the directions on the package. Then put in the fridge to allow it to set.
2) Wash and slice the strawberries.
3) Break up the Angel Food Cake into bite size pieces.
4) Using Sterilite’s Ultra Seal 4.7 Quart Bowl, layer in all of the ingredients.
5) Begin by covering the bottom of the bowl with the Angel Food Cake
6) Next, spoon in an even layer of the pudding
7) Top that off with a layer of Cool Whip
8) Add a layer of strawberries
9) Repeat steps 5-8 until the bowl is full!
Another option is the classic strawberry short cake! This is a fan-favorite that can be enjoyed at any time of the year, but having freshly picked strawberries makes it even better.