By Tori Lind of Sterilite Corporation
Everyone has that one drawer in the house that is a total mess…right? It is the one that is filled with random things you don’t know where to put and things you don’t even know you own. Not to mention, this drawer is SO unorganized that you have to shove things down just so the drawer will close all the way. Well this weekend, I had enough of the mess and Operation Junk Drawer Organization was in full swing! Keep reading for some tips and tricks on how to tackle the clutter in your junk drawer.
Step 1: What is being stored in this drawer? The first thing you should do is take everything out and separate it into piles based on categories. Phone chargers and accessories in one pile, office supplies in another, and so on. This exercise made me realize how many sharpies I own, LOL!
- TIP: If you REALLY want to give this drawer a refresh, you can buy drawer liner! I found mine at Walmart and it was super easy to install and inexpensive.
Step 2: What items in your piles have a more permanent home? The issue with a junk drawer is that it becomes a drop zone and is just a temporary home for some items, which is what causes the mess. Therefore, it is important to put these items away in the correct location. For me, it was sunglasses and mail. Sunglasses belong in my purse and mail should be on my desk. This will help to minimize your piles and allow you to see the items that actually need to be stored in this drawer.
- TIP: Check to make sure the items you are putting into the drawer are still usable. I had a few pens and markers that were dried out and a phone charger that no longer works.
Step 3: Which storage trays will work best for you and your drawer?
- Mini Storage Tray: If you wear glasses, you know how important glass wipes are. This tray is the PERFECT size to keep these little guys organized. It’s also great for phone chargers and headphones!
- Storage Tray: I am always buying hand sanitizer, lotion, chap stick, etc. You can never have too much, right? Well, this tray size allowed me to keep all of these items organized, plus it can fit my face masks too!
- Slim Storage Tray: I am THAT person who doesn’t keep their grocery list on their phone, hence all the pads of paper. This tray was not only a fantastic size for storing pads of paper but also take-out menus and pens!
It has been a few days since I have organized my junk drawer and I can successfully say mission accomplished! These Sterilite Storage Trays are a game changer for the junk drawer clutter! They help give everything a home and keep the junk drawer organized.
We would love to see how you keep your junk drawer organized. If you try utilizing our trays, share picture with us on Instagram and be sure to use #sterilitenation!